Two take-home lessons for today: (1) Once in a while, I will write a post about someone or something that I will not criticize. It will be rare, and special. (I’m currently working on a post about Barney Frank. You don’t know me yet, but that’s shocking!)
(2) GREAT MOMS ARE THE BEST
Happy Mother’s Day, everyone!
I have the greatest Mom in the world. I have been a feminist since approximately age 4. We were cruising – probably in the Chevy Citation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Citation – and for some reason, the idea struck me that when I grew up, I would get married and end up living wherever I’d lived the longest before I met my husband. My mother wisely corrected me that I probably would live wherever my husband got a job. I thought about asking why my future husband wouldn’t decide to live where I got a job – and I kept that question to myself. I’m pretty sure that was the moment I became a feminist.
As a result, for many years I was way too critical of my mother. At times, I criticized her for not finishing college, or for not having a demanding career, or for keeping house too well – or whatever.
During those years, I was a foolish, immature, self-centered jerk. (Feel free to debate in the Comments section how much that has changed.) It took some time on my own in the real world to realize how incredibly fortunate I was – and still am.
My mother is a wonderful nurturer. To this day I still have to have ginger ale over ice when I’m sick because that’s one thing she did to take care of me when I was little. My mother makes delightful chocolate chip cookies. I learned recently that she’s wildly perfectionistic about the pans she uses to make cookies…
I used to think my mother was a pushover. But the truth is, in her own way, she was by far the toughest member of my family. She was calm in every storm. She taught me what it means to sacrifice for another person. (That SO doesn’t come naturally to me, but honest to God, done for the right reason and for the right person, it is life affirming and gratifying. And sometimes it’s simply the right thing to do.) She won’t believe it, but she’s probably the reason I’m a defense lawyer: she showed me how to stand by someone and defend that person all day, every day, whether “that person” deserved it or not.
My mother can take any piece of fabric, anywhere, and turn it into art. Or at least into curtains. About once I day, I wish I were a little more like her.
Her mother clearly did something right.
I love you, Mom.
Reader(s),* if you have a good Mom, make sure she knows that you appreciate her. If you had a good Mom, and she’s gone, cherish her memory. If you haven’t been blessed enough to have a good Mom, let me know. Mine has a big heart, and she’ll probably unofficially adopt you.
PS – I have many friends who are mothers. I hope each one of you has a Lovely weekend! Love, Aunt CaC
* I hope there is more than one.
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment