Friday, May 15, 2009

Graduation!

It’s that special time of year again! 18-year-olds think they’re adults, free from their parents (until they run out of money or clean laundry). Twenty-two (or 25)-year-olds are amazed that the time went by so quickly. 34-year olds either (1) can’t believe they haven’t finished the dissertation they started working on 8 years ago; or (2) can’t F*CK*NG believe they’re now FACULTY!!!

I’m pretty sure the 22-y-o’s have it best.

I am fortunate enough to have good friends in each of the life stages described above. And I congratulate each of them heartily.

I skipped my master’s and law school gradjiations. I think that by the time I turned in my thesis, or finished my last exam, or whatever, I was just DONE. I knew I’d earned the degree. I didn’t need to dress up in funny hats to realized what I’d accomplished. Now that it seems like everyone but me gets a funny hat, I think I might have missed out...

But I’m kind of a butthole. I find myself envying my friends for whom graduation means something big. Apparently being “hooded” means something different in academia than in the Klan… Nice.

My comments now are mostly addressed to the new faculty, who were once my classmates, my beer pong opponents, my truly valued friends: Congratulations to each of you! I hope you enjoy the ceremony and party well afterward. Some of you are now leaders at institutions I’ve left, some at institutions I’ve loved – all finding your own directions as some of the Smartest Nerds In America! I respect and envy you all!

CAC loves you, and wishes each of you the very best. I am jealous of your regalia. Nice threads, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment